- Achievement in Cinematography: Robert Richardson for Hugo
I thought the Tree of Life should have taken it but in all fairness, I haven’t seen Hugo so I can’t disagree with the choice as much as I would like to; it really makes me want to see Hugo though.
- Achievement in Art Direction: Hugo
- Achievement in Costume Design: Mark Bridges for the Artist
Not only did it deserve to win, the comment made during the Artist clip where the idea behind George Valentin’s costume is describe is exactly what the costumes did. When the film starts, his clothes all fit very well but as the film goes on and he falls from the spotlight, his clothes get looser giving the appearance that the man inside the clothes is actually shrinking.
- Achievement in Make Up: The Iron Lady
- Best Foreign Language Film: A Separation from Iran
- Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer in the Help
Though I said that Jessica Chastain should win it in my win win/should win post but Octavia Spencer certainly deserves the award as well. What a great speech by Octavia Spencer! I love it when
- Achievement in the Film Editing: Girl With a Dragon Tattoo
I’m just happy that Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is getting some form of recognition though it will not receive as much as it deserves in my opinion.
- Achievement in Sound Editing: Hugo
At least Transformers didn’t win, I would not be pleased if we gave an Oscar to that movie.
- Achievement in Sound Mixing: Hugo
I’m starting to see a familiar pattern here….is it going to be a Hugo heavy awards show?
- Best Documentary Feature: Undefeated
- Best Animated Film: Rango
RANGO?!?!?!? I did not see that coming at all.
- Best Visual Effects: Hugo
- Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer in Beginners
- Best Achievement in Music: The Artist
- Best Original Song: Man or Muppet from the Muppets
Wow, only two nominated songs? Slim pickings this year.
- Best Adapted Screenplay: The Descendants
For those of you that don’t know who the Groundlings are, they are a Second City type group that started Kristin Wiig and Melissa McCarthy and the men who wrote the Descendants. I’m liking the Groundlings recognition at the Oscars tonight.
- Best Original Screenplay: Woody Allen for Midnight In Paris
No Woody at the Awards? Bummer.
- Best Live Action Short: The Shore
- Best Documentary, Short Subject: Saving Face
- Best Animated Short Film: The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
- Best Achievement in Directing: Michel Hazanavicius
I’ve never been so happy to be wrong. In my earlier post I said that though I thought Hazanavicius should win the award but that Scorcese would win. Hazanavicius deserved the award and I’m so happy he got recognized.
- Best Actor: Jean Dujardin in the Artist
YES!!!! No more trying to explain to everybody why he should win, he did
- Best Actress: Meryl Streep in the Iron Lady
Very sad Rooney Mara didn’t get the Oscar, her performance was truly brilliant but it’s hard to complain about Meryl winning. Gotta love me some Meryl Streep!!!
- Best Film: The Artist
There is no doubt in my mind that this film deserves this award and this honor.